The Hickory Public Library’s Carolina Room contains polio-related materials under the headings of “Polio” and “The Miracle of Hickory.” Included are 1944 aerial photographs of the Infantile Paralysis Hospital (an emergency polio hospital) and snapshots of polio patients taken by Dr. Seifert. Also provided are many articles clipped from the local newspaper, The Hickory Daily Record, covering the beginning of the polio outbreak in 1944 through the 2001 dedication of the downtown monument entitled, “Tower of Miracles,” by artist, Maryrose Carroll. The collection highlights the 1944 Life magazine series of photographs commemorating the “Miracle of Hickory,” as well as a copy of the CORONET magazine from February, 1945, whose first article is entitled “The Miracle of Hickory” by Carol Hughes.
Hickory Public Library/Patrick Beaver Memorial
375 3rd Street NE
Hickory, NC 28601
Janey Deal, Genealogist
828-304-0500 ext. 7273